One of the most prominent features on our face is our smile, so it is important to keep our teeth healthy and white. While we may have had beautiful white teeth as a child, our teeth tend to get stained over time due to drinks such as wine and coffee, as well as bad habits such as like smoking and chewing tobacco. Having discolored teeth can make a smile seem dull and less appealing lowering their self esteem. Many people, who have discolored teeth, look towards teeth whitening to improve their smile. However, many people choose to use at-home teeth whitening kits instead of dentist office treatments. Just like making any decision there are pros and cons to picking at-home whitening kits.
- Teeth are whitened in the comfort of your home
- Teeth whitening gel is prescription strength
- Less expensive than in-office tooth whitening
- Results are achieved gradually
- Trays are custom designed for your teeth
- Supervised by an experienced cosmetic dentist
- Trays are usually worn all night
- Results may vary depending on the level of discoloration of your teeth
- Teeth may experience increased sensitivity
- Must visit the dentist during the teeth whitening process to examine the teeth and gums
Deciding to us an at-home teeth whitening kits should be based on your individual needs. It is recommended to consult with your dentist if you have any concerns about the health and condition of your teeth before and after the use of an at-home teeth whitening kit. While using the kit, if you feel your gums are irritated or becoming more sensitive, it is best to consult with a professional and discuss another teeth whitening program that may work better for you.